I have half a chinese yam (huai shan) left and decided to use it for tonight’s soup. My family loves cooked huai shan, a nutritious tuber. My brother, who’s a TCM practitioner, told me that this tuber is extolled for it’s many medicinal benefits and therefore a good food to include in our diet. It’s medicinal properties and various ways to consume them can be found in many TCM related websites. One such website is http://www.homemade-chinese-soups.com
CHICKEN WITH CHINESE YAM AND CORN SOUP
½ chicken, skinned and cut into smaller pieces
450gm fresh Chinese Yam (huai shan – 鲜淮山), cut into 1” sections
1 corn, cut into 1” sections
1 carrot, diced 8 pcs of Chinese red dates
1 tablespoon of wolfberries (枸子)
1) Blanched chicken in hot water twice. Wash & leave aside.
2) Boil 1.5 litre of water in pot.
3) Put in all ingredients and bring to a boil.
4) Lower heat, cover the pot and let it simmer for 1.5 hrs.
5) Remove any visible fats from the soup before serving.