Rock Buns – the very first baked snack that I made at age 13. These crumbly rock buns never fail to bring back fond memories of my belated dad, who was so overjoyed when I first made them and shared with us the story behind his cravings for it (click here for the interesting story behind it).
Ingredients (make 30 x 3″ buns)
500gm self-raising flour
80gm milk powder
190gm unsalted cold butter
110gm fine sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3.5 nos x 60gm eggs, cold
1 tablespoon vanilla essence
180gm mixed fruits (cranberries, raisins & orange peels)
1) Sieve flour into a large bowl.
2) Cut cold butter into small cubes and rub it into the flour until it resembles crumbs.
3) Add in sugar and salt and mix well.
4) Beat eggs slightly with a fork together with the vanilla essence. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour egg mixture into it. Mix well quickly to form a dough.
6) Add the mixed fruits and combine well.
7) Grease a baking pan with melted butter or line it with parchment.
8) Using a tablespoon, drop spoonfuls of the dough on the pan, leaving some space in between each one.
8) Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 25-30 mins until golden brown.
9) Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight box.
10) Serve warm as a tea time treat with coffee or tea.