This is one of my favourite pork rib recipes. I learnt this from a cooking program on TV. The ribs are as good if eaten on its own without the sauce; in which case you will need to increase the seasonings for the pork ribs and bake it for a longer time. Otherwise, just season the pork ribs lightly as the sauce itself is very flavorful.
PORK RIBS IN SWEET & SOUR SAUCE
1.5 kg pork ribs (about 12 large ribs when cut), wash and drain
Season lightly with :
1 tablespoon Worchester sauce
1 tablespoon Light soya sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon corn flour
For the Sauce :
2 large onions and 10pcs of garlic, blended together until fine
2 tablespoon Plum Paste
3 tablespoon Tomato Ketchup
1 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
400ml of hot water
1) Season pork ribs thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2) Grease a baking pan with olive oil. Drain sauce and arrange the ribs on the pan and drizzle some olive oil over them.
3) Bake seasoned pork ribs at 220°C for 25mins on one side and a further 15mins on the other side.
4) When done, reserve the juices.
5) To make the sauce, heat some olive oil in a pot and fry the blended onions and garlic until fragrant. Add in the reserved juices from the baked ribs and mix well.
6) Premix the plum paste, tomato ketchup, oyster sauce and sesame oil in a bowl and mix well. Pour the contents into the pot and stir well. Add hot water and bring to a boil.
7) Put in the baked pork ribs and coat well with the sauce. Cover pot and let it simmer for 25-30 mins until ribs are tender.
8) Serve with steamed rice and vegetables or salad.