It is very satisfying to create and bake a dessert that is appreciated by all. This Apple Pie is one of them. After umpteen tries, I have finally perfected a tasty and crusty pastry for this pie. As for the filing, cranberry is added to give it more flavour. In my opinion, homemade wholesome goodness at its best!
GOLDEN APPLE PIE
(A) The Shortcrust Pastry :
225gm cold unsalted butter
225gm cold salted butter
3 tablespoons milk powder
5 tablespoons sugar
3 cold egg yolk
2 teaspoon vanilla essence
120ml cold water
(B) The Filling :
5 green apples
5 red apples
Juice of 1 lemon
Rind of 1 lemon
75 gm raisins
75 gm cranberries
75gm orange peel
1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
3 tablespoon brown sugar (or more, to taste)
1 tablespoon cornflour dissolved with 3 tablespoons cold water
Method (the Filling)
1) Remove skin from apples and cut into small pieces.
2) Except for cornflour, combine the rest of the filling ingredients in a pot and cook over low flame till apples are slightly tender (about 15mins). Taste and adjust sugar according to your own preference.
3) Thicken sauce with cornstarch. Set aside to cool.
Method (the Pastry)
1) Sieve the flour & milk powder into a bowl.
2) Cut the butter into small cubes and combine together with flour. Rub butter into the flour mixer until it resembles breadcrumb. (If you’re using a cake mixer, use the ‘dough’ hook and process flour & butter together.)
3) Add sugar & yolks and mix well.
4) Add cold water and combine well. Use hand to knead thoroughly to form a smooth dough.
5) Cover with clip wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Method (the Pie)
1) Lightly grease a 10” non-stick spring form pie mould.
2) Preheat oven at 180ºC for 30 minutes.
3) Remove half of the prepared dough and roll out the pastry to 0.75cm thickness. Line the pie mould with the rolled pastry.
4) Trim off the edges with the back of small knife.
5) Use a fork to prick holes on the pastry.
6) Pinch the edge of the pastry with your index finger & thumb.
7) Cover the base and sides of the pastry with parchment paper. Then put sufficient beans or rice on top (the weight of the beans prevents the pastry from puffing up during baking).
8) Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown.
9) Remove from oven, discard the rice or beans, and leave to cool for 30minutes.
10) When cool, fill the baked pie crust with the cooked apples.
Method (the Pie Decoration – Lattice/Basket Weave)
1. Roll out the remaining dough and cut the pastry into 1 cm stripes
2. Place 3 parallel stripes across the pie filling and about 3cm apart.
3. Lay a stripe of pastry horizontally across the 3 stripes.
4. Place another 3 stripes of pastry between the gaps.
5. Fold the lower stripes back and lay another stripe horizontally across (it will look like a basket weave).
6. Repeat the steps until the entire surface looks like a weaved-cover.
7. Press gently around the edges and use a small knife to trim off the excess pastry.
8. Glaze the top with a beaten egg yolk.
9. Preheat oven to 180ºC and bake the pie for 30 minutes.
10. When done, cool on a rack.
11. Serve warm or cold.