Funny how the year-end holiday season always arouse cravings for certain food – it was Chicken Pie yesterday. With some frozen leg ham leftover from our Christmas dinner, I combined it with fresh chicken meat to make a chicken and ham pie for dinner. My daughter, Shermaine, wiped-out half of it!
CHICKEN & HAM PIE
Mashed Potato Topping, to prepare ahead :
5 pcs russet potatoes
50gm melted butter
50gm cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
extra melted butter for brushing
– peel the potatoes
– cut the potatoes into quarts and boil them in a pot of hot water until soft
– mash the potatoes and add butter, milk, cheese, salt & pepper to taste
– set aside for use later
The Filling :
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
3 clove garlic, minced
3 slices ginger, minced
100 gm ham, cut into cubes
2 chicken thighs
– skin removed, deboned and cut into small cubes
– season meat with some salt, pepper & cornflour
100gm frozen mixed vegetables (defrosted & washed)
100gm button mushrooms, cut into cubes
200ml hot water
½ teaspoon chicken stock granules
salt & pepper to taste
1 tablespoon plain flour dissolved with some water
1) Heat oil and fry (A) until fragrant.
2) Add (B) and pan-fry lightly.
3) Add (C) and stir-fry till almost cooked.
5) Add (E) and leave to simmer for 5 mins.
8) Bake at 180°C for 30 mins.
9) Serve warm.