Traditionally this sticky rice recipe is quite tedious to make. The rice needs to be stirred often so that it does not get stuck or burnt at the bottom of the pan. Also, right control of the flame is crucial in making a good pot of savoury glutinous rice. Fortunately for me, a friend taught me a very easy method of cooking this dish. The result is as good as the one cooked in the traditional way but minus the sweat and the muscle ache!
This flavorful dish makes a good breakfast, lunch or tea break snack. However, as glutinous rice takes longer to digest, as delicious as it may be, watch your portion if you have a weak stomach.
SAVOURY GLUTINOUS RICE
Ingredients (serves 8-10 people) :
1 kg glutinous rice (washed 3 times and pre-soaked for 3 hours)
– drain rice & season with 2 tablespoon dark soya sauce & 2 tablespoon oyster sauce
300 gm pork belly (diced and season with some light soya sauce, pepper & sesame oil)
400 gm dried prawns (washed and drained)
6 dried mushrooms (soaked and cut into thin stripes)
2 chinese lean sausages (boiled, remove waxed skin & cut into small pieces)
2 tablespoon of minced garlic
4 tablespoon cooking oil for frying
Sufficient hot water for cooking rice
(C) For garnishing :
some chopped coriander
some chopped spring onions
some fried shallots
some sliced red chilli
some roasted nuts (peanuts or cashew nuts)
1) Heat 3 tablespoons oil and fry minced garlic until light brown. Add sliced mushroom and dried prawns and continue to stir fry until fragrant.
2) Push ingredients aside in the pan, add 1 tablespoon oil and stir-fry the pork belly until half done.
3) After that, add in the Chinese sausages and continue to stir-fry all the ingredients together until pork is done.
4) Reduce heat, add the glutinous rice and mix it well with the cooked ingredients.
5) Level the rice mixture and pour in hot water to exactly the same level as the rice (DO NOT ADD MORE THAN NECESSARY).
6) Increase the heat to medium and quickly stir-fry until the water is fully absorbed by the rice mixture.
7) Turn off the heat and transfer the rice into one or two bowls.
8) Steam the glutinous rice over high heat (40mins if divided into two portions or 80mins if using only 1 bowl). Halfway through, stir the rice with a pair of chopsticks to ensure even cooking).
9) Garnish with (C) before serving.