I learnt to make Samosa from a much-respected Pakistani friend. It is a deep-fried puff, usually made in the shape of a cone or a triangle. The filling is similar to our local curry puff, with the inside stuffed full of tender potatoes and meat.
For convenience, filo pastry is used for the wrap (also known locally as spring roll pastry). As for the spices, if you are not sure how to get them, simply go to an Indian spice store and tell them to give you a combi-blend of spices for making samosa. A typical blend would include ground cloves, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, pepper & chilli powder. Cut down on the chilli powder if you prefer less spice.
We’re having a tea party tomorrow with some good friends so I am making some ahead as these make very good afternoon snack. It can also be frozen up for up to a week. Simply deep-fry them straight from the freezer when ready to eat.
I have omitted meat in this recipe as I like the vegetarian version. If you prefer, meat like chicken, mutton or beef may be added for more bite.
2 large onions, chopped
3 green chillies, seeded & minced
1” knob ginger, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 teaspoon dhania-jeera powder
3 teaspoon garam masala
1 stalk coriander, minced
1.5 teaspoon salt (or adjust according to your taste)
4 tablespoon cooking oil
10 sheets frozen large spring roll pastry
Oil for deep-frying
The Stuffing :
- Boil (A) until 3/4 cooked. Remove the skin and cut into cubes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in pan. Fry (B) for 2 mins.
- Add (C) and continue to stir fry until fragrant.
- Add potatoes and mix well.
- Add (D) and combine ingredients with the spices well.
- Transfer to a bowl to cool before wrap.
The Wrap :
- Thaw the frozen spring roll pastry for 45 mins before use.
- Cut each sheet into three rectangles.
- Fold and stuff the samosa this way :
To Cook The Samosa :
- Heat sufficient oil in a pan for deep-frying.
- Using a tong, lower a few samosa at a time into the hot oil and deep fry till golden brown and crispy at medium flame.
- Transfer fried samosa onto a tray lined with kitchen towel to drain off excess oil.
- Serve warm.