We love chestnuts cooked in any way – roasted, braised, boiled, baked, etc. When braised together with meat like chicken or pork ribs, it gives a naturally sweet and nutty flavour to the entire dish.
A all-time favourite for dinner at home is braised chicken thighs with chestnuts and mushrooms. We like to combine the sauce with steaming hot rice. The flavour is simply superb, especially when brandy is included in the seasoning!
BRAISED CHICKEN WITH CHESTNUTS AND MUSHROOMS IN XO SAUCE
4 large chicken thighs
– skin removed & chopped into 4 pieces each
– marinate with 1 tablespoon light soya sauce, some pepper, 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil, 1 tablespoon brandy (or chinese rice wine) & 1/2 tablespoon cornflour
4 pcs garlic, minced
2 pcs shallot, minced
2″ knob ginger, sliced
8 chinese mushroom
– soak in hot water until softened & reserve the water
– squeeze dry and remove the stalk
20 chinese chestnuts
– wash & boil in hot water for 10 mins
– remove shell & skin
(E) Seasoning for sauce :
1 tablespoon light soya sauce
1 tablespoon dark soya sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1/2 tablespoon Brandy (or chinese rice wine)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
pepper to taste
(F) sufficient hot water
1 tablespoon corn flour dissolved 30ml water
3) Add in the seasonings in (E) and stir-fry for 1 min. Add in the reserved mushroom water and just enough hot water to cover the ingredients and stir well. Cover pan, lower heat and leave to simmer for 20-25 mins until meat and chestnuts are tender. Lastly, thicken sauce with cornstarch mixture.
4) Serve warm with steamed rice.