I love making bread and it makes me happy to know that my family & friends enjoy them. More often, it’s substantially cheaper than store-bought ones and best of all, it’s preservative free. It is really not that difficult to make bread. Once you get the hang of it, you’ll be hooked on making your own. Nothing beats eating a freshly baked bread from one’s own oven with a nice cup of coffee or tea!
I made three different kinds of bread today – Sushi Bread Roll, Mushroom & Onion Roll and Sausage & Mixed Vegetable Bun – all of these with just one basic sweet bread dough.
SAUSAGE & MIXED VEGETABLE BUN
(this recipe is adapted from “The World of Bread” by Alex God)
1/2 portion of basic sweet bread dough
5 large sausages
5 tablespoon mixed vegetables
some tomato ketchup
1) Divide the dough into 5 equal portions and mould each one into a ball. Leave on a tray lined with parchment paper to rest for 10 mins.
2) Roll each ball into a rectangle. Place a piece of sausage in the center and fold it into half.
3) Leave about 1/3 from the edge and use a small knife to cut it into 8 equal portions.
4) Twist the first portion to the left and the second to the right. Repeat until the entire length is twisted accordingly. Leave to rest for 50 mins until double in size.
Leave it in a warm place to rest for 50 mins until double in size
5) Brush with beaten egg yolk. Pipe some tomato ketchup in a criss-cross direction on the surface & top with mixed vegetables.
6) Bake in a preheated 190C hot oven for 15mins until golden brown.
7) Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm.
An anytime snack or eat as a complete meal with a favourite cream soup