The texture of this cake is very much like the traditional chinese 鸡蛋糕 (pronunced as “ji-dan-gao”) that my mum use to steam when I was a little child. The cream corn added to the batter gives the cake an extra crunch. Instead of steaming it in a large cake pan, I’ve made them in little muffin cakes. Whichever way, it tastes great!
SWEET CORN MUFFINS
for 1×8″ square pan or 16×2″ muffin cups
4 large eggs (60gm each)
180gm fine sugar
200gm cream corn
250gm self raising flour
80gm melted unsalted butter
1) Prepare a steamer and bring water to boil.
3) Add in B and continue to whisk until well blended.
4) Lower speed of mixer and add (C) gradually. Combine well.
5) Add (D) and mix well.
6) Pour batter into a 8″ square pan lined with parchment or fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter. Small cakes takes lesser cooking time than large cake. Depending on the type of steamer used, steam approximately 40-50mins for large cake and 18-25mins for smaller ones.
7) For large cake, remove parchment immediately and cool cake on a rack.
8) Enjoy as a breakfast, afternoon tea or supper snack. Yummy!