This one is from www.diycozyhome.com, a website that offers amazing creative inspiration for both home and health. The bread caught my attention for its beautiful shape, the centre looking like swirling blooms, so pretty to look at. When I saw the post this morning, I was so inspired to make it.
The original recipe called ‘Holiday Bread’ was in Bulgarian and posted by Eva Toneva in her food styling and photography blog. For the love of this artistic bread, Maya at the foodivakitchen blog racked her brain cells to translate it to English and aptly renamed it Happy Bread. So a big THANK YOU to you, Maya, for doing domestic bakers like me an incredible favour.
I tweaked the method a bit, adding the olive oil later instead of kneading it together with the rest of the wet ingredients. – this is what I normally do when I make bread dough. Also, I sprinkled some sugar and cinnamon powder on top of the melted butter spread as we loves the wonderful aroma of cinnamon in bread (actually, who wouldn’t??).
So glad I tried. It’s not as impressive as the one Maya baked but pretty nevertheless (beauty is in the eye of the beholder…ha!). I know for sure it’s going to be a breakfast conversation piece tomorrow 😀
THANKS again, Maya, for so generously sharing the English version. You’re a wonderful translator (and baker) !
HAPPY CINNAMON BREAD
(adapted from http://foodivakitchen.blogspot.ro/2011/09/happy-bread.html)
2 teaspoons dry instant yeast
1 tablespoon honey
100ml warm milk
500g all-purpose flour or bread flour, plus extra for kneading and flouring
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
150 ml warm milk (extra) combined with ½ teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
100 g butter, melted and cooled
3 tablespoons castor or brown sugar + 1 tablespoon extra sugar for sprinkling (add more if you like your bread really sweet)
1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1. Combine (A) together and stir well. Cover and leave to ferment in a warm place for 10 min.
2. Put (B) in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Make a well in the center and add (C) and (A). Knead the dough with your hands to form a rough dough.
3. Add (D) and continue to knead for 5 mins. Transfer dough to a floured surface and continue to knead for about 10 mins until it becomes smooth and elastic.
4. Grease the mixing bowl thoroughly and return the dough to the bowl. Cover with a towel or cling wrap and leave to rise in a warm place for an hour until doubled in volume.
5. Punch down risen dough and transfer it onto a floured surface. Divide dough into 2 equal parts. Divide each of these again into 4, so you have 8 pieces of dough altogether.
6. Roll each piece of dough out into a roughly rectangular shape (about 7″x5″). Brush melted butter over each piece and sprinkle some sugar & cinnamon powder over it. Set aside remaining butter for later use (you will need it again after baking).
7. Place one piece of rectangular dough over another one and roll it up like a cylinder. Do the same with the rest of the dough. You will end up with 4 cylindrical rolls altogether.
8. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 10″ or 11″ round spring-form baking pan. In the middle of the pan, arrange the cut ends of the rolls around each other to form a circle, placing the cut sides down. Arrange the cut triangles to completely surround the middle circle. Cover with towel and leave the dough to rise in a warm place for 50 mins.
9. Beat (F) lightly with a fork and brush top of the bread with the glaze. Bake bread for 30 minutes, reducing the temperature to 160C after 10 minutes in the oven.
waiting in anticipation for the bread baking in the oven now….. (another 10 mins to go..)
9. Brush bread with melted butter as soon as it comes out of the oven and sprinkle the extra sugar over it. Remove from the pan and leave to cool for 10-15 minutes before eating.
Hot from the oven and smelling heavenly…..
So fluffy & soft on the inside….
HAPPY CINNAMON BREAD – so happy just looking at it (:
New International Version (NIV)
A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.